Monday, November 19, 2012


So The video we have watched the last two class periods has really gotten me to examine my relationship with professional sports. I've come to the conclusion that I am guilty of wanting a separation of sports and political expression. I don't like it when players use sports as a platform to express their political views. It makes me uncomfortable. I like to judge a player by his actions on the field not off of it. However, the fact of the matter is sports has always been a political platform. Whether it is Jackie Robinson or Muhammad Ali, like the movie talked about, or the 1980 US Olympic Hockey Team sports has served as a stage for social and political change. It has made me realize that I shouldn't be uncomfortable with this expression, I should be encouraging it. Prominent athletes are often among the first to criticize aspects of American culture and as a fan I shouldn't immediately dismiss their claims just because they may be something I didn't want to hear. I think that a prime example of this in today's sports is the absence of openly gay and lesbian athletes. I am a big fan of Billy Bean and his extraordinary bravery as the only person to play in Major League Baseball and admit to being gay. I think that he serves as a shinning example for other gay and lesbian athletes. The problem is that Billy Bean no longer plays baseball and so there is no champion there for others to look to. Unfortunately one person stepping up and fighting isn't going to change anything. We as a society have to change our mindsets and accept change when it comes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment