Thursday, November 15, 2012

Gender Roles

I think the reason we have gender roles today is because of the way humans were before we started to become more civilized. These ideas of what we believe a woman or a man should be or act like have been around as long as we know. Now that we have widespread media, these gender assumptions can be found almost everywhere. I do believe we are started to realize that these ideas have little merit. I think that we are on a very slow transition until we no longer see the assumptions anymore. It takes a very long time to completely get rid of ideas that have been around as long as gender roles have. I think the fact that we are now widely questioning the roles shows that we are slowly starting to realize that these assumptions do not pertain to real life scenarios. I think gender roles will be around for many many more generations in the future, but they will start to become less and less prominent in our culture. I also think that showing these roles in media is very popular. I think this is because so many shows and advertisements that play of the assumptions we have of what makes a man a man and a woman a woman are still very popular. It is my prediction that these will become less and less popular as years and years pass. As more people start to realize that gender roles do not carry any merit I think we will start to make even more progress as time goes on.
Justin Eshelman

No comments:

Post a Comment