Monday, November 19, 2012


So watching the interview with Christopher Hitchens today in class I found myself wanting to punch that guy in the face. I almost can’t even put into words my disgust. It’s not even that he said anything that terribly offensive, it’s that he is spouting this antiquated garbage that sounds like it belongs back in the 1950’s. It’s people like him with that outdated mindset that are the reason women’s equality is still an issue. It shouldn’t be! This should have been settled by now! But thanks to Hitchens and his archaic mindset women still have to fight for things like equal pay for equal work. I was so mad after leaving class I didn’t even tell my girlfriend, who is a rather outspoken feminist, about the video. And the thing is Amy Poehler and Tina Fey’s response article didn’t make me feel any better. While I respect them and think that they defended themselves very well they didn’t succeed in making this guy see that he is wrong. On the contrary, he was even more convinced he was right! I don’t know maybe it’s his smug attitude that gets to me but I really didn’t like that man. I apologize on behalf of the male race for the actions of this nut job. And I think what saddens me the most is that he’s not alone in this thinking. There are a lot of American men who have similar views and who don’t really have a problem with the fact that we still don’t have equality in this country.  

No comments:

Post a Comment