Thursday, November 15, 2012

Twitter

I have never been what you would call a tech savvy kind of person. I have always been behind the curve when it comes to the latest form of social media. Recently I was convinced by a friend to join the world of Twitter. I had resisted many other friends that had tried to get me to start an account on previous occasions. I have never been too interested in what a certain celebrity was eating for lunch or the lyrics to a song that an acquaintance was currently listening to. I have never had a problem staying in contact with my friends through texting or simple phone calls so I did not see the any need for a Twitter account. The main reason for my resistance to join is that I did not understand the social media's full potential as a way to stay informed about current events.
 What finally made realize that I was missing out an a very helpful tool was something I never thought I would link to technology, hunting. I was in a duck blind and the birds had not been flying. I got curious to why we were not having much luck when my friend said that he just heard that the ducks had still not migrated this far south. When I asked how he knew this he told me that he gets updates from Ducks Unlimited via Twitter.
I know use Twitter quite frequently. I do follow friends from school, but most of the accounts I follow are news and organizations that I am interested in. Instead of watching news on television I can get headlines and breaking news through tweets. I also enjoy getting updates on the going on's of the Indiana Hoosiers basketball team. Twitter has the great quality of being able to bring breaking information immediately after it occurs. Recently there was a safety crisis in my home town and I was able to instantly receive information regarding what I needed to do to remain safe.
I now wish I had tried to understand how Twitter works earlier. I feel like I missed out on a great tool for information on current events, news, and updates on organizations that I like to stay up to date with.
Justin Eshelman

No comments:

Post a Comment