Monday, November 19, 2012


So I don’t think that this Superhero culture applies in my case. While I enjoy superheroes and find them entertaining I was never really that exposed to them as a child. My parents had this crazy notion that I should grow up admiring real heroes like Albert Einstein and Neil Armstrong. It is the same reason I didn’t watch Barney as a kid. Why idolize these “fairytales” when you can learn from real people. As such I didn’t grow up with the idea that I had to be strong, tough, and emotionally distant. This worked out well for me because I am by no means strong or tough. However, even though I don’t think I was brought up in this culture that doesn’t mean that millions of boys weren’t. I find it sad that this is the way our society is constructed, but then I think that this is the way it has always been. And this isn’t just in American culture this has been true since the dawn of man. Men and women have always had different roles and the males role has predominately been the role of the protector. Today in America, even though women fight in the armed forces only the men have to register for the draft. Now, there is a difference between the caveman protecting his family and the hero mentality that is pounded into the youth’s heads today. Unfortunately I don’t see this mentality changing in my lifetime. I think that most people don’t even think about it as they raise their children. They think this is the way it has always been so why change anything?    

No comments:

Post a Comment