Friday, November 16, 2012

Facebook...the end.

Why do we love Facebook so much? It’s like the Wal-Mart of social media; everything all in one place. I’m a very selfish Facebook user. I literally only post movie and music posts, I never look at my News Feed, and I never “Like” anything unless I specifically seek it out myself. There are people who spend their whole day “Liking” things and exploring the vast online universe of Facebook. Some people literally think they understand the world by living in it vicariously through social media. This is disheartening to me.

I love Facebook because it allows me to keep in contact with certain acquaintances I may not otherwise keep in contact with. For example, I created a Hardcore/Metal music compilation with bands from all around the world. I used email to make this happen, but I currently keep in contact with the international bands via Facebook. Frankly, it’s easier that way. We’re both already on, and I know the other person is going to check it more often than they will their email (sadly). I can’t exclude myself from that description, I check Facebook more often than my email as well. I see no harm in this. So I wouldn’t be able to see my international friends’ pictures or hear their music as easily without Facebook, but it’s still possible. When did society become so reliant on media that give us everything in one, but do nothing quite as well as other programs? What I mean by that goes back to my Wal-Mart comment above. Wal-Mart has everything – TVs, DVDs, groceries, bedroom essentials, car stuff, paint, fabric, etc, but nothing it has is the best quality, and rarely do stores like that have specialty items unless they’re really popular. For example, Wal-Mart’s meat selection will never be as good a quality as a local butcher with fresh product. That’s why some specialty stores still exist. 

This is a lot like Facebook. Facebook does a lot of things, but it’s not the best at anything, really. That’s why media sites like Twitter, Instagram, and the like exist, because they specialize in a specific area. So having said that, why do we love Facebook so much? I can’t quite understand it. I enjoy Facebook, but could easily live without it.It has the potential to do a lot of really great things -- regarding activism, awareness, and other things we discussed in class -- but it also consumes many people's lives. Again, I have a hard time relating to people who get caught up in Facebook to the point of addiction.

I think the addictive traits of Facebook are what I find disheartening. I do not believe Facebook is a healthy way to maintain relationships. I believe personal interaction is the best way to cultivate a relationship. Note that above I said, "I love Facebook because it allows me to keep in contact with certain acquaintances I may not otherwise keep in contact with." I said acquaintances because I believe true relationships deserve a deeper level of attention. I'm not saying I'm right per se, this is just how I feel. Do I sustain some friendships on Facebook? Yes. But do I rely on Facebook to build true friendships? No. I can't exactly articulate why, but I just find it sad that so many people live through Facebook these days. I don't believe it's healthy. My feelings about this do not stop with Facebook. It's the addiction to social media in general. It makes me fear the future. What will the next generation of human beings be like if this continues?

I will force myself to stop now in fear that I will endlessly rant and ramble. Final thought: I don't believe Facebook is bad, but I believe it needs to be used in moderation. The end...

No comments:

Post a Comment