Sunday, November 18, 2012

Everyone needs a Hero

Sometimes I wonder if this concept of superhero culture is as bad as our reading says it is. I know that Christian Bale (as well as Batman in general over the past few decades) was grimdark and brooding in the films, but is this always really the case? I mean surely not every hero is ultra aggressive and "might makes right". We're not going to have as much money or a high-tech suit of armor like Tony Stark. I grew up watching WB's Batman: The Animated Series, and as dark as it was for a children's cartoon it still taught me a few things as a kid. When you're the world's greatest detective you don't always need fists or a utility belt to solve your problems. Or just a few months ago when I spent almost an entire weekend marathoning The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes (which Disney recently cancelled to in order to produce another Avengers animated series that is more in line with the movie yet not based on it, much to my shock). At the end of the last episode Captain America reminds us that we're remembered for what we do rather than who we are. Sometimes it's necessary to give out a good pummeling to save the day. I'd be a liar if I didn't say that. If you have to give them a taste of their own medicine for the greater good, then by all means go ahead. We just need to accept that sometimes the bad guy might have to  get their feathers a bit ruffled when being taken down

No comments:

Post a Comment