Monday, November 19, 2012


Ok so I’m not sure how rooting in class material this is but I had to talk about it. One of my great obsessions in life has been Star Wars. I own every movie, I’ve read almost every book, I even have a rather impressive collection of Star Wars Lego creations back at home. I am a huge fanboy and proud of it. So I was very dismayed this morning to wake up and learn that George Lucas had sold my beloved Star Wars to Disney. At first I refused to believe it. I had seen interviews as recently as a few months ago where Lucas had explicitly stated that he would never sell the series. And I believed him. That wasn’t the end though. He didn’t just sell Star Wars, he sold everything, Indiana Jones included. And what did he get for all of his precious creations? 4 billion dollars. First of all, that’s pocket change for Disney. They would have paid twice that in a heartbeat. Second of all, it’s not like Lucas needs the money! This is a guy who owned all the franchising rights to Star Wars. Do you have any idea how much money he made off of that alone? He sold himself like a common street worker and I pity him. Disney is already talking about the new Star Wars movie they are going to make. They aren’t even using the existing books as a guide, they’re creating a completely original story. WHY? Why do you feel the need to do this? The story is already there! If you have to make another movie at least do us the courtesy of keeping the original storyline intact. But I digress. I seriously hope Disney knows what they’re doing and they don’t ruin Star Wars for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment