Sunday, November 18, 2012

Ellen and Feminism at the Same Time?!


Today I was procrastinating as usual on YouTube when I came across this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCyw3prIWhc

Then this!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP4e4vGP6oc&list=UUp0hYYBW6IMayGgR-WeoCvQ&index=11&feature=plcp

To me these videos are incredible and let me tell you why. Im going to start with the first video. When you are on your weekly Wal-Mart trip and you are browsing do you notice how many companies market specifically to women? Most likely after taking this class yes, but before did you notice that women items are usually pink or purple? As Ellen talks about BIC has come up with a pen "for her", since when can women and men not use the same type of pen ? As she describes, the pens are pink and purple and on the back it says something along the lines of "perfect for the womans hand". Last time I checked, my pens have "fit" just fine in my hand and I am a woman. I think it is a way for companies like BIC to take a product, mark up the price by marketing it to a specific demographic even if it is just like a previous product. We don't realize how much our society takes things like color and label them male or female. These pens are "for her" the company decided that they needed to make them pastel pink and purple, and because I am a woman I must like them! Ellen also talks about how the 1 and 2 pound weight are pink and purple. I do not believe that is not just a coincidence. I think that the company that made them believes that women are more likely to use the smaller weights so why not make them "girly colors." I think that like Ellen says in her second video these ideal just push women back 50 years. 
 In the second video Ellen brings up a car made by Honda that is called "She's" made just for women. With features that have a climate control system that is supposed to improve skin quality and a windshield that prevents wrinkles. I feel like to say that just woman want good skin quality is very flawed and shows what society thinks that a woman might want in her "perfect" car. 
I also believe that Ellen taking the time during her daily monologue to point out these products and to point out that our society has very set ideas of what a man and a woman should like is taking a step in the right direction toward equality for women.  On average approximately 5 million people watch Ellen daily. If Ellen can get that kind of crowd of that size to watch her show I think it is inevitable that with her talking about these issues will change the thought of people around the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment