Saturday, November 17, 2012

Sell me an Idea by J. D. Purdie


Personally, I don’t understand why rhetoric has such a bad condemnation for it. But maybe that's just me because I love to sell. I don’t just like selling thing, although I do love selling thing, in middle school and high school, the booster club loved me because when the football team or wrestling team sold trash bags or coupon books I always sold the most. But I also like being sold something, even if I can’t afford it. Watching a commune for a sport can and feeling myself want that sports car more and more even though I know that I’ll never have the chance to buy it. Although I love the way that we communicate and persuade and sell and tell stories, it seems that every week my definition of rhetoric expands and changes. Rhetoric is more than just public speaking and writing intended to persuade. It is even more than what we see on the news, read on our twitter feed, the messages in our video games and the symbols of corporate America. Rhetoric is the is what occurs when an idea is spoken aloud, written down, or placed in an image for people to see. It’s truth as we see it, or more importantly how we want our truth seen. And as I read other peoples blogs and reflect on the lessons of this class, I can’t help but realize that although we all live in the same country and go to the same school and consume the same media we all still have different ideology’s that each one us is trying to sell own view of truth.


J. D. Purdie

No comments:

Post a Comment