Friday, November 16, 2012

OH EM GEE hun-cal froyo

Last month, the popular site instagram had some glitches and was down for a couple hours. During that time, many people I follow on twitter had an opinion of the problem, tweeting that they were devastated they were not able to upload their latest photographs. I ignored most of the tweets, as they were highly whiney and repetitive, however I found one rather humorous. One of the more witty people I follow sarcastically said he was concerned instagram was done because he would not know what everyone had for dinner. I thought about this statement and realized the truth behind it. Lately, instagramming pictures of your dinner was the new fad, but I was not sure why. In particular, I could think of two specific foods I constantly see on instagram from the majority of the users I follow: sushi and frozen yogurt. I also noticed that not many males were posting photos of the two foods, rather it was mostly college-aged females.  I wondered why these two foods seemed to be so “popular” among these women and came up with a possible conclusion. Both are supposedly “healthy” for you, or at least a healthier alternative. As somewhat of a health freak, I can’t help but laugh. In a popular YouTube video they refer frozen yogurt as “hun-cal froyo.” However, with the dozens of toppings such as candy bars, sauces, etc. that most people choose you put on their frozen yogurt, I can assure you that it is just as bad for you as ice cream, if not worse. It’s the same with sushi. Yes, sushi can be good for you, but if you are getting a deep fried roll with extra soy sauce, eel sauce, and spicy mayo, the roll is not in fact healthy for you. I guess they made a valiant effort with their “healthy” instagram, but they just missed the mark. 

No comments:

Post a Comment