Friday, November 16, 2012

Feed My Sheep

I know the Feed My Sheep mini-presentation wasn't part of our classroom discussion but I think it is a very important topic and can somewhat relate to what we talk about in class.
I'd never heard of the organization before they came into class on Wednesday. I'd always considered organizations like this to be great for the community but honestly, not really any of my concern. But for some reason, this woman and this cause hit me that day and I really got to thinking about. I'll speak personally but I am almost certain many of you can relate. I spend a great deal of time throughout my day on my phone or online. Whether I'm surfing pictures on Instagram or checking out news updates on my USA Today app, I'm always connected to what is around me. But when she was speaking I got to thinking, how connected am I really when the community around me is suffering and I'm doing nothing to help. So as she talked I decided that I would volunteer that Wednesday before Thanksgiving. For a block of time I am going to put my phone away, ignore my twitter feed, silence my Facebook notifications and give my attention to people who really need it. Furthermore, what are we good for if we don't utilize what we have for good? I encourage everyone to find a cause, maybe not FMS but something you believe in and make your Facebook and Twitter and Instagram followers and community aware of this cause. Give them the opportunity to learn more and possibly reach out their hands in an effort to help. Maybe we can't all agree on politics or sports or even our C322 articles, but if we all open our minds and our hearts and our hands to the community around us, maybe we can make this place just a little better each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment