Friday, November 16, 2012

The Food Dilemma...

Food is troubling. What do we eat? What should we eat? It’s all a bit of a headache if you ask me. I know I lived off of Banquet Chicken Tenders, blue box Kraft Macaroni & Cheese, Totinos Pepperoni Pizzas, and Mountain Dew for years as a teenager. Being 27-years-old, with a wife and 1-year-old daughter, one starts thinking about one’s habits and one’s future.

I have an issue with the production of a lot of the food I eat, but I don’t stop eating it. I’m a living paradox when it comes to food and I don’t really know what to do about it. I believe in being a vegetarian if you feel truly convicted about the treatment (or mistreatment) of animals, or if it is a medical condition that makes the vegetarian lifestyle more conducive to one’s good health. One thing I hate is vegetarianism/veganism as a fad. I actually believe it’s wrong, but I digress.

Where do I fit in? I don’t feel convicted enough to change my eating habits, but I disagree with the way animals are treated for consumption. Food Inc. is a documentary I’ve seen multiple times, and afterwards I feel like revolting and fighting to end the irresponsible and immoral treatment of animals. However, my dilemma resides in my lack of motivation and passion for the subject. Hopefully this is allowed on these blogs, but can anyone comment with a solution for someone like me? I’m not looking for advice, because I already know how I feel, but I’m curious what other people would say to someone in my predicament. I think there is a large population of people who fall into my category, but they lack the proper motivation to do anything about it. And typically we hear from various media that the food industry is either good or bad. But I believe there is a middle ground, and I think those people are the ones to reach before changes will ever be made. I would love the feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment