Thursday, November 15, 2012

Food, Inc.

I grew up with a very strong passion for the outdoors. As long as I can remember I was stalking through the woods searching for game or wading a nearby creek with my fly rod catching bass and sunfish. All of these critters are the healthiest, most organic foods one can find. Unless I go out to a restaurant I rarely eat meat that was processed by anyone but myself. I am grateful I was taught the skills to provide food for myself. I think this is a very good way to get a better understanding where the food we eat comes from. I thought the video shown in class Food, Inc. was very interesting and I got an even better understanding of what that steak on someone's plate has gone through. I believe that the understanding of where food comes from is becoming even more skewed in recent times. People believe that meat comes from a grocery store wrapped in plastic. I thought the class's reaction upon the butchering of a chicken was very interesting. I would like to know the total amount of chicken nuggets consumed by the entire class through our lifetimes. My guess is, it would be an impressive number. However there was a very audible shriek of terror admitted upon the removal of the chicken's head. I do not believe that someone must go out and harvest their own food. I do think it would be beneficial to become more informed and put a little more thought into what our country is eating. I get enjoyment knowing that the food I collect for myself is 100% free range, organic, medication free and must cheaper than what can be purchased. I would highly recommend that if someone is interested in what we are feeding our country to get a little more hands on experience with the food process.
Justin Eshelman

No comments:

Post a Comment