Thursday, November 15, 2012

"A Long Distance Affair"


“A Long Distance Affair,” the article about long-distance relationships was essentially the story of my freshman year of college. My senior year of high school I was living in Alabama, but set to go to college at Oklahoma State University. Most of my friends were going to colleges in Alabama, particularly to Auburn University or the University of Alabama; nevertheless, I planned on going far away and leaving my life in Alabama behind. The summer before I left, however, I became closer with a guy friend I had throughout high school. After I left for college we became even closer, thanks to the beauty of Skype. Skype was a lifesaver my freshman year. Not only was I able to keep in touch with him, I was able to keep in touch with my four best friends who were spread out in Mississippi, Alabama, North Carolina, and Indiana. I even began Skyping my parents, who I was rarely able to see.
Skype has revolutionized long-distance relationships for couples worldwide. In a college relationship, unless you are dating someone who both attends your school and lives in your hometown, you will at some point spend time apart. Whether it is for holidays, summer break, or studying abroad, Skype is a way to keep in touch and feel close. Also, for couples in the military, Skype can be way a way to occasionally see each other versus simply writing letters or talking on the phone.  Because of Skype, I was able to keep a healthy long-distance for an entire year. Like the article states, long-distance relationships can be a blessing in college because you are able to have the freshman experience of meeting brand new people without being tied down, but you also have a solid support system at the end of the day. Now that I have transferred to BSU, I still use Skype to talk with my friends in Oklahoma and my high school friends from Alabama. Skype is one invention I could not live without.  

No comments:

Post a Comment