Thursday, November 15, 2012

Great American Pastimes

Football, baseball, and basketball, are dominated by males. Although women can have success in sports, it's still seen as masculine. I'm down with feminism and all, but one of the biggest drawl to football is how rough and tumble it is. Personally, I grew up watching helmets crashing against each other on the 50 yard line. I like watching football I guess because it's embedded in me. I don't get into the lives of the players, or the "politics" of the game. I like the teams that I like and I get joy out of the game itself.

For example, I'm a massive New Orleans Saints fan, and as the movie in class pointed out, a few years ago, Scott Fujita openly stated the he was a homophobe. He gave the Saints a bad reputation but it didn't matter to me. I feel bad that he's so ignorant, but it has nothing to do with his ability to play football. Plenty of athletes have made political statements that they probably shouldn't make. The media takes these statements a little too seriously. In the end, it doesn't matter how anyone feels about their fellow team members. As long as the acts aren't illegal or in violation of any codes in the league, it DOESN'T MATTER. 

I cannot hate someone for being different, and I can't hate anyone for feeling the way they feel. No one deserves to be put in the spotlight.  Athletes are just employees of their league and nothing more. My opinion of a player has to do with one thing and one thing only: their ability to play. 

No comments:

Post a Comment