Friday, October 19, 2012

Video- Food Inc.

The video we watched in class today over Food Inc. was an eye opener for me personally. I always knew that unfavorable things happened to my food but I always wanted to keep those disturbing truths in the dark. I enjoyed going to fast food places and shopping at Wal-Mart for the best deals on food, but now I am definitely giving it a second thought. Knowing all the pesticides and harmful chemicals we obviously subject our bodies to just to save a few bucks is ridiculous in my opinion. I am 100% guilty of this myself but that doesn't make it right.
I also never realized how vicious farming can be between the corporations and private farmers. The entire industry is very cut throat—particularly in the examples used in the video for soybean farmers. The way that a corporation can come in and ostracize a farmer and his family based on accusations of saving seeds is outrageous.
Another thing I found disheartening was the family at the beginning of the video who are forced to eat unhealthy foods due to income. This is a classic example of the cheap/fast food cycle, but you could not help but feel for them. Between the father needing medication and only being able to afford roughly a dollar per kid each meal, it would be hard not to fall into the cycle. This part in the film made me realize how grateful I should be that I am able to afford healthier meals and I should do what is best for my body and turn towards more organic foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment