Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Levi's or Nothing- Branding.

Evan Lahee
Concerns over branding-

The class lectures last week over brands and people connecting to them made me realize something about myself. While I've always considered myself a person who really doesn't care about brands and just needs objects for utilitarian purposes, I admit there is one brand of clothing I'll always be picky with. Levi's jeans. I absolutely refuse to wear any other brand. Growing up, I was a lot heavier and always would wear sweat pants to try and hide my weight. But as I got older I'd be made fun of for not adapting to more mature clothing or not having an eclectic enough wardrobe. I'd struggled through the years with denim and had been forced to wear them on occasion, but was always miserable in them. Til one day I got a pair of Levi's, once I had begun to lose the weight that had plagued my early childhood. They fit perfectly, and I felt a new boost of confidence from them, and while I didn't give in due to the comments of my peers, I simply felt like a completely different person. I refused to wear sweat pants again, and still don't even around the house or for leisure, since it brings back those memories and feelings of being young and out-of-shape. I wear Levi's exclusively, and will go out of my way to as many shops as I can to find the exact style and dimensions of the pants I'm after when I actually go out once in a blue moon to purchase something useful like clothing. Sometimes I'll cave and buy a cheap pair of Arizonas to cut into my "hipster" jean-shorts, but when it comes to pants I want to wear every day and last, I'm exclusively Levi's, and refuse to give any other brand a try even in the fitting room, says I, the guy typing this wearing incredibly cheap knock-off Chuck Taylors. 

No comments:

Post a Comment