Monday, October 29, 2012

P!nk and my life (parasocial relationships)

I am going to go back a few class sessions and discuss my one true love-the main focus of my parasocial relationship, Alecia Beth Moore aka P!nk. Although it would be exceedingly easy for me to do the entire blog post about how much I love her, I will focus on how my parasocial relationship affects my every day life. Let me begin by saying that not a day goes by that I don't listen to at least one of her albums. The definition of a parasocial relationship as discussed in class is a one sided relationship with someone of higher social standing (such as a celebrity) where the focus of the relationship has no idea of your existence. The parasocial relationship can also be seen as a type of addiction, and in my case, this is certainly true. I am not ashamed to say that I am addicted to P!nk. I do plan  my life around her public schedule EX: when she does interviews (Especially with Ellen), when she has televised concerts, I buy magazines with her even mentioned on the cover, I recently spent over $100 on tickets to see her in MARCH! I bought her new album the moment it was released on iTunes, and then turned around the same day and bought the CD version. All of these instances may not seem to interrupt my daily life on their own; I do still have class to attend, work, and rugby. Although it would seem like my love for P!nk would get in the way of all of these required activities, I firmly believe that these required activities get in the way of my love for P!nk. I have unashamedly missed class, and skipped practice in order to see her on TV, or listen to her music. Last semester my friend Sarah (who is also in this class) and I were attempting to study for our finals, when we started listening to P!nk, watching her interviews, and looking up her music videos (all of which we have seen multiple times). We stayed up for 48 hours straight doing this. I practically failed my anatomy final that I had to take at the end of the 48 hours. The moral of this story is that we put P!nk before our studies, and I don't regret a single second of it. A major point in the definition of a parasocial relationship is that the person of focus has no idea that you exist, and the love you may feel for that person is unrequited. Although I am aware that this may be true right now, I think she just hasn't met me yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment