Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Currently a Vegetarian

During today's class, I had to leave early because I was crying like my dog had gotten run over right infront of me or that someone had eaten the last piece of my favorite cake (I really like cake).  I have a super soft spot in my heart for animals, not so much for people I don't know, just animals.  When I was little, I went to see Mulan in theaters with my parents and we had to leave the movie early because I was sobbing like a big baby! If you know what part I'm talking about, then we should definitely be friends.  I'm talking about the part near the end of the movie when the avalanche comes down the mountain and kills the horses.  I wasn't concerned with the lives of the Chinese army guys, just the horses.  So that's why today's class was not the best class of my life.

I totally understand where the food I eat comes from, but I had no idea that these animals were getting treated so horribly.  I also understand that keeping them inside with no natural light produces bigger chickens and feeding the cows corn instead of grass makes them fatter (side note: when the farmer stuck his hand in the cows stomach, how could that not hurt the cow?! and how does one go about creating that hole in a cows side? You can't tell me that didn't hurt the cow.) but how could anyone, as a human being, treat a helpless animal in such a cruel manor?  Especially the guys that come to collect the chickens from the raisers.  There has to be a different job for those people.  In my mind, what they are doing to those chickens and cows and pigs is no different than beating your dog or abusing your spouse.  In fact, those men who come to pick them up in the middle of the night, what they do to those animals is most likely their way of getting their anger out for having such a disgraceful job.  These animals depend on humans for food, a home and a better life.  If we can't provide those things for them, then what kind of person does that make us?






No comments:

Post a Comment