Sunday, October 28, 2012

Oh TLC, What Are You Doing To Us?!



          TLC is short for the “The Learning Channel,” but what exactly are we learning? For me, I’m not really sure I’m learning much more than the realization that I hate TV more and more every time I turn it on.
Both of these girls are under the age of 10!
            I have a huge soft spot when it comes to kids. My mom came from a family of nine, all of who married and had kids who are now having kids of their own. I’m continuously surrounded by kids at home and also here at school where I work in a nursery and at an after school program for 6 to 12 year olds. I feel sad for them when I turn on the TV knowing that they are very well watching the same shows I am at night. More specifically shows such as Toddlers and Tiaras and Here Comes Honey Boo Boo. Both of which are extremely problematic shows in our society right now. These shows are instilling in these kids that make-up, sparkly outfits, and big hair are what makes someone pretty. That winning a big trophy is the way to their parent’s heart. I know I wouldn’t want my child growing up thinking how he or she looks is all that really matters. I don’t want my daughter to feel like frill and jewelry are what make her a woman or my son to think that girls are only girls if they wear frill and jewelry. We’ve become so obsessed with appearances in our culture and TLC in my opinion is leading the pack. This is supposed to be a family friendly channel and the fact that shows like these are what kids are watching now is frightening. It’s no wonder we’re struggling with gender identity in our society.
            All I want to do is call up TLC and ask, “What are you doing to us?!” I haven’t lost all faith in humanity yet, but if media keeps portraying these stereotypical gender roles to children I fear for how they will react to other persons who don’t fit into this general view we have of male and female in the future. 


No comments:

Post a Comment