Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Princess Culture: Whose Fault is it Really?

I am very interested in our topic this week. As someone who grew up on Disney, I have to admit that I'm completely obsessed. Since I was a little girl, my mom has called me "Jessibelle", and from then on, I was hooked. I've been collecting Beauty and the Beast trinkets since I can remember. My nickname all throughout high school was "Belle", and it's come to the point where I drafted a tattoo for my ribcage. This culture took over my life hardcore. Everything in my life is Disney! However, I don't think I've succumb to the Toddlars and Tiaras lifestyle.

Yeah, I begged for those ribbon tiaras at every fair I went to, and I had Disney princess bedding, but I was never one to try and have loyal subjects. I don't think that Disney or the like are to blame for the stuck-up Daddy's girls that we see on shows like My Super Sweet Sixteen. The reason that those children are the way they are is because no one ever said no. Bad parenting is an easy target for most cultural problems and rightfully so. I was raised on Beauty and the Beast, the Little Mermaid, and Cinderella, but I don't feel the need to be a Kardashian. Young girls get out of hand when they are allowed to.

For example, my niece is victim of a Princess Culture gone wrong. She walks around the house with her glass slippers and magic wand, bossing around me, her brother, her cousins, and even my dad. It's as if Hannah has never heard the word "no" before. I know what it's like to have a little Honey Boo Boo and it's not because of the influence of princesses in media.

I'm proud to be a princess, and I hope every little girl can be a princess without turning into the credit card swiping monsters on TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment