Thursday, October 25, 2012

The Superhero Syndrome

Due to the fact that I have had very little contact with princess paraphernalia, "Can Superheroes Hurt Boys' Mental Health" stuck with me the most out of this week’s readings. As the film industry continues to pump out superhero movie after superhero movie, the problem is sure to grow. Or at least remain consistent.

Within the article, the author writes, “researchers say [superheroes] may actually reinforce macho stereotypes and teach young men to be aggressive and detached.” I have seen examples of this throughout my life, especially in my younger cousins.

I have two cousins, both well under the age of ten, that are avid superhero fans. If you can name a superhero movie that has been released since they were born, I can guarantee you their parents took them to see it in theaters. Then bought them the accompanying plastic and foam versions of the heroes’ weapons. These, of course, are used on anyone within striking distance as the kids mimic their favorite superhero’s aggressive behavior.

What makes instances such as this interesting is how companies are encouraging the aggressive behavior. Much like how young girls have tiaras, young boys have toys associated with their favorite superheroes. For example, after one of the Hulk movies was released foam Hulk hands were everywhere. My cousins had a set. The toy even had sound effects, which were activated by hitting the hands. So how did my cousins get the most use of the toy? They hit people with the hands, just like the Hulk.

Things like this have been going on for years with my cousins. Every time my family visits the pair need to be told to stop hitting people at least once. Unfortunately, it seems like the researchers may be right. It seems as though young boys are being encouraged to act out violent tendencies not only by the film industry, but by toy manufacturers as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment