Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The Things We Eat

The video in class today really makes us think about what we eat and, even more, where what we eat comes from. While I will admit that I have thought about these things before, it never has stopped me from eating said products. We, as a society, are so dependent on corporate America that one could argue that we are addicted! When one hears the word addiction, we attach it to bad things like using tobacco products, however, our dependence on corporate America in today's society is just as bad. I have considered being a vegetarian before when thinking about the treatment of the animals that are set on the plate before me, but I, like most people, get set into a routine and find that it is very difficult to adjust my schedule and my way of life to make room for such a change. I have a hard time eating foods that look like animals. When dinner comes around and a whole chicken is set on the table (when you have to pull the legs off yourself) that is difficult for me to do, however in nugget form, it never crosses my mind. That could possibly be the idea. Reshape the meal to make sure that people do not think about where it came from or even think about the idea that this was once a living breathing thing because by placing these ideas in the public's head, the thought, most likely, will come up of how did this animal go from the farm to my plate and, as shown in the video today, that is not a story that we want to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment