Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Food Culture

Growing up in a country (Jamaica) where most of the food I ate was non-processed, I did not once stop to think that moving from a smaller country to a bigger country would change the way I eat. I love to eat; I love trying new things regardless of where it came from. Like a mentioned above, most of the food I once ate In Jamaica was grown by my family (fruits and vegetables), and I had other family members and neighbors who rear their own animals (cows, pigs, chickens, etc.) who we bought our meat product from. I also lived close to the ocean, so a lot of fishing was done thus, I had fresh fish to eat all the time. Another thing was that, my family rarely go out to eat, but rather, we had home cooked meals every day (a lot of the times for all three meals).

Going to a different country, one of the first thing I noticed was the way people eat, how they eat, and what they eat. First of all, a lot of people do not like to cook, they don't even like to take the time to prepare processed food properly. At first I was stuck in my old ways; cooking all the time and always looking for fresh produce food items. A few after however, I slowly adapt and started getting used to fast and easy to go lifestyle. I got so used to this, that when I went back home for a visit and was eating the food there, it was foreign to me; I wanted to go back to what I had gotten used to.

Now, there I was in class a few days ago watching Food Inc. and seeing all the horrible things relating to whats being going on with the food I now grave and eat so much of, is making me question everything single thing I now eat and drink. Furthermore, I even find myself telling other people what to eat and what not to eat.


No comments:

Post a Comment