Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Digesting Food Inc

One of my favorite things to do when I have spare time is to watch documentaries about food.  Super cool, i know.  The main reason for this is that I am too lazy to go and search for the information myself, and documentary film makers put it together so nicely for my consumption.  Because I enjoy watching these documentaries, there was a lot of information that did not shock me about Food Inc, but that is not to say that I didn't learn a lot.  One thing that has stuck with me from watching this, is the strange fact that almost everything we eat is created with, based in, or fed corn.  I agree with the point Food Inc is making, that we are completely unaware of what we are actually consuming.  I try to eat healthy, and pay attention to what I am consuming, but unless I am eating strictly food that comes from the ground, there is no escape from these corn based products.  Everything on grocery store selves from peanut butter to sport drinks to instant box dinners are based in corn, and this essentially means we are consistently eating the same thing over and over.  We are not getting the nutrients we need to live healthy lives.  It reminded me that I need to always read the labels of the food I consume, and need to be an educated consumer when buying my groceries.   

Something else that Food Inc got me thinking about again, is the internal battle between buying affordable food, and buying food that actually nourishes our bodies.  The documentary, Food Matters, stresses how important it is for us to use food as medicine for our bodies, rather than filling them with garbage.  Both documentaries bring up the point that we need to shift our culture from spending as little money on food with little nutrient, to making an investment in our health by spending more of our income in order to feed ourselves well.  As a college student on a tight budget, this is something I struggle with, and I know I am not alone.  I think that there are definitely places in my own personal budget where I could make changes in order to make a positive change in my own health and eating habits, but not everyone has this luxury.  I agree with the film in that the only way to break this cycle is the spread the word about corruption in our food industry, and to voice our opinions by being educated consumers.         

No comments:

Post a Comment