Tuesday, October 30, 2012

A Semesterly Vegetarian


Food Inc. has been shown in at least one of my classes every semester of my college career.  As always, the movie follows or precedes a series of stories about the cruel treatment of animals that descend from factory farm to grocery store shelf.  Every semester I leave class feeling disgusting, but incredibly passionate about making a change in not only my own eating habits, but those of my friends and family, as well.  I become incredibly annoying about it, as I share every single story I know about animal treatment as my best friend bites into a hamburger or when my dad grills steak for our family.  

Every semester I become a vegetarian... and every semester I fail.

I try.  I really do.  The problem is, I'm from a small farm-centered town in Ohio that relies heavily on the consumption of meat products- factory and organic, alike.  It's not easy being a vegetarian when you've grown up understanding agriculture to be a livelihood.  So, to all vegetarians, I admire your strength, and one of these days I'll finally gather the strength to stick to the passion that you hold for consuming safe food.  

Until then, I'm nearing the end of week one of my semesterly vegetarianism after watching Food Inc. in class last week.  Maybe I'll do a spin off of "My Twitter Diet" with "My Vegetarianism Blog"?  Oh, the possibilities...


No comments:

Post a Comment