Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The Princess Culture: How Do You Define It?

As I read the articles about the Princess Culture, the surprising thing was that I didn't find it very surprising. We live in a world that feeds off of shows such as "Toddlers and Tiara's", finding  products of anything Disney Princess is at every corner nearly every store. However, until reading the articles I never took into account how serious the Princess Culture is, and how harmful it could be to truly let a little girl believe she is a Princess. What I see differently though, is that it can all be controlled by the parent. Yeah, the world is now surrounded by princess things, Bratz dolls, Barbies, and little girls dream of going to Disney to meet Cinderella but that doesn't mean the parent has to let the child believe she is truly a princess. 
One of the characteristics that makes up a princess means that they have total control. But a three year old does not just take over control unless it is handed to them. I think there is a way to let a little one be girly, wear pink, and crowns, and tutu's, and you can even call them a princess. Princess takes on a different meaning to me. To me, calling a little girl "Daddy's Princess" or a Princess just means she is special. All children deserve to feel special. However, you can treat a child in a way to make them feel special without making them believe they are better than everyone else. For example, Miss Mackenzie is an only child, is treated like a princess, she is spoiled, and she KNOWS it. Mackenzie's mom has handed total control over to the child. As for those who say children are dressing up like the Disney Princesses without knowing their story, I think parents can take the time to read them the story of Cinderella, Snow White, Belle, or whoever. It's a fairy tale...and it can be made clear that's all it is. Maybe a parent doesn't want their child exposed to those stories, then they have the right not to expose their child to it. 
I was raised watching Disney, dreaming of meeting the princesses (when I was 8 I did), had a baby doll with every outfit Target ever put on sale for her. I also played soccer, baseball with the boys (not softball!), volleyball, basketball, I swam, I played and continue to play golf on ac collegiate level. I work in the summer, and had a job in high school. I wear sweats all the time, no make up, and yet I'm still trying to figure out how I can pull off a tutu and a crown for Halloween. Might I also add  NO PLACE on Earth makes me happier than Disney World. 
What I am trying to say is it's all a matter of how the child is raised, and how real the parent makes the meaning of the word "princess."

No comments:

Post a Comment