Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Princess Culture

From the beginning I grew up around Disney movies. My room was decorated with princesses from the Disney movies and I felt they were real people. I think parents tend to believe that their children are drawn to these sorts of things depending on their sex. I think that from the start parents think it is necessary to buy their children what the norm tells them to buy. For example, one of my first big gifts when I was young was a Disney princess tent. My parents put it in my room and said I would sit in there for hours playing and talking to the princesses. As a young child your imagination runs wild. All the Disney princesses were real and they were my friends. When watching the videos today, I realized that these princesses had a lot to do with why my self-image was very important growing up. I'm not going to say that the only reason I cared about my appearance was because the princesses told me to, but I did want to look like them. Playing with barbies and watching Disney princesses on the television makes one believe that that's was normal girls are suppose to look like. All of these elements impacted the way I grew up.

No comments:

Post a Comment