Sunday, September 9, 2012

Media and Loneliness

I found these readings so interesting because I've noticed these trends in my life--and I've run from them.

When I was in high school, I was a texting maniac. Now, that doesn't mean I had a lot of people to text or that I texted them on a consistent basis; but I sure was obsessed with it.

I mean, if I wasn't texting so-and-so (I'll keep it anonymous), I felt strange, and lonely! I understand what the readings were saying because when my relationship became more about my media-related relationship with the person than my face-to-face relationship, then I felt ten times more lonely than ever.

I knew something had to change, so I stopped texting for conversation. Today, I only text when I need to. It's almost always to ask when to meet, where to go, or other random facts I need quickly. And I'm definitely not lonely in the same way I was in high school!

However, Facebook is kinda taking over! I'm seeing the same trend occasionally as I did in high school with my cell phone. If one of my close friends isn't liking my posts or commenting or chatting me, I suddenly feel excluded and lonely. "Why would they not like my status? Why wouldn't they talk to me?" It's sad, really, that I sometimes feel lonely because of Facebook.

Fortunately, I have a wonderful group of people I see somewhat consistently in person. I'm with my quite amazing girlfriend pretty often, which is a blessing. Additionally, I have an awesome friend group here at Ball State. I feel most lonely when I see none of them for a day or two, and focus on interaction via Facebook.

All this to say, yes, Facebook is making us lonely. I agree that social media, while it does have its benefits (I spent all summer Skyping my girlfriend--I don't know what I would have done without it), it has its disadvantages too.

No comments:

Post a Comment