Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Confessions of A Teenage Media Addict

This class has is becoming my very own MA (Media Addicts Anonymous). From the first week talking about our addictions, to fakebook, to the extremes of the extremes of parasocial relationships; you could really just call me a parasocial whore. Yes, yes, I was in fact the girl who finished 7 seasons ranging from 20-27 episodes per season, of Grey's Anatomy... in three weeks. Ashamed? No. Accomplished? Well, you could say that. I skipped work for Grey's, I took baths so I could set my laptop up on my toilet to watch Grey's, at one point I was willing to preform open heart surgery on my cat, if only my brother wouldn't have stepped in. I was- I am a Grey's fanatic. Sadly, this is not the only TV series that has swallowed me from the real world. Netflix is the creator of my problems. On Netflix I have fully finished series including: Cake Boss, Desperate Housewives, Teen Wolf, Make It Or Break It, How I Met Your Mother, Weeds (three times), Pretty Little Liars, and am previously stuck in the middle of Breaking Bad (thanks guys). However this, again, does not do me justice, on actual TV I am completely caught up with and watching weekly: Storage Wars, Face Off, Revenge, The Walking Dead, Two and A Half Men, Dance Moms, and The Pitch. This is not a joke. I have a problem, but I am not and will not seek help. I like my shows. 

This makes me wonder, when will the cultivation theory catch up with me? I am indeed a heavy user of numerous mediums. Media has totally taken over my life, but is this something I need to fix to live a normal life? I have Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram, and an YouTube account. I have a MacBook Pro, iPhone 4s, Wii, Xbox, Nintendo, Dvd player, 39" Plasma, Gameboy DS, and a kindle. All used at least once a week, most much more, however I still seem to function as a normal person. I read IMDb daily to keep up with news, I haven't lost any friends due to my addictions, and I can tell you right now I am definitely not scared of our world. I consider my fears rational: needles, sharks, dying alone, and your typical Abraham Lincoln. Okay, okay, I admit that may not be normal, but you try having a reoccurring nightmare of good ol' honest Abe chasing you with a knife. It's whatever. 

Going on... I don't think I live a "fake" life on Facebook, but I certainly am a different person sitting behind the walls of my Twitter and Facebook worlds, as I am talking to you right now. Honestly, I have severely fell off my Facebook game as of late. However on Fb I am my mother's daughter, my Nana's grandchild, and all of my friend's mother's perfect friend to have. On Twitter it's a different front, I am your typical college kid and the movie/media guru of our time. These lives aren't "fake" or extremely dramatized, they are just the part of me I want you to see. My tumblr is basically an ode to Morgan Freeman... Speaking of, let's get into my many levels of parasocial relationships. Starting with Morgan, our relationship has been intimate and growing since a very young age of 12. You see, Morgan resembles my very favorite person put on this Earth, my Papa, only Morgan is African American and much more freckled. I can stand up and orally recite Morgan's entire biography found on IMDb. I can tell you what movie he is working on, and who he is working with, I can tell you I only need to see 26 more Freeman films to have watched everything he has had a role in (or narrated), and I will debate you until the day I die why The Shawshank Redemption is by far the best movie to ever hit theaters. Anyways, that's my most extreme parasocial relationship. My others include: Clint Eastwood, Meryl Streep, Anne Hathaway, and duh, my hubby, Patrick Dempsey. Trust me there are many more but why bore you any longer? Bye!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment