Thursday, September 13, 2012

Getting Back to the Basics

After our discussion on Wednesday, I couldn't but to think that in some ways social media is our generation's version of hand written letters. Years ago the only means to communicating with someone was through a hand written letter. However, as technology was created and expanded, the means to deliver those same messages became much faster and far simpler- granted they also became less personal too. As someone that utilizes social networking sites such as Twitter, Tumblr, and Blogger, I have found that I have reverted back to the act and skill of writing. Although Twitter only allows 140 characters, I find that I must decide which writing crime to commit in order to get my thoughts out for all of my followers. It means a lot to me that I even realize I am committing a writing crime because it shows that I, as well as others still appreciate the written word for what it is. In terms of blogging sites, they allow for people to express themselves in longer, drawn out ways that are not acceptable on Facebook or Twitter. As a avid blogger, there is no better feeling then writing a posts about something that I love or hate and then publishing it for the world to see. Although my posts don't follow a letter format they are my thoughts and feelings presented on "paper". So despite what older generations think, my generation still very much appreciates and understand the wonders of the written word, we just don't have to wait a lifetime waiting for a response from a loved one, LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment