Monday, December 10, 2012

popular cultures attention span


ESPN is one of my favorite channels to watch. There is information given all over the screen and you can find what you want to know in a moment’s notice. During Sports Center, an hour long news broadcast with only sports, a broadcaster may be talking about football. While they are talking there is a program on the side that lets you know what they will be talking about next. Lastly, there are scores from the games the day before, and schedules for the current day. All of this information coming at once is great because I can always find what I need to know whether I’m listening to the broadcaster or I’m reading the scores at the bottom. I think this is becoming a trend in our culture to want as much information given to us as possible. Even though it helps make things quicker, I think it may be bad for our attention spans. If I don’t have a lot of information coming in at once I just get bored. Another example of why I think people are more likely to watch faster paced shows now is because of Netflix. I love the Walking Dead on AMC, but I cannot sit through a whole episode on Sunday nights with commercials. I prefer to watch Netflix where I can watch my shows as quickly as possible and right after I can watch another episode. I prefer that the episode and the plot are fresh and new. I’m glad I have all of these options for my viewing pleasure, but I do think the fast pace style in which we have access too could hurt our cultures lifestyle as much as it assists us.

No comments:

Post a Comment