Monday, December 10, 2012

Culture of Cool


The class discussion about “being cool” and “hipsters” was one of my favorites this year. There are people that are really obsessed with being cool. Most everyone is guilty or following trends, even when they don’t know it. When I wake up in the morning I do not stop and think if everyone will think what I am wearing is cool. I am however influenced by what other people are wearing and what I think looks “cool.” I certainly am not making any statements with my jeans and t-shirt! There are people however that want nothing more but to not fit in. They wear clothes simply because it’s different and they want to be a non-conformist. I’m glad this was discussed in class because I’ve always felt that at some point when enough people are trying to be different, that different is the new cool. It’s ironic that individuals try so hard to be different but don’t realize they are actually falling right into the same trendy trap as the rest of the world. I don’t have a problem with people who try to be different and I think a lot of their styles are really trendy. I do wish people would just try and be themselves rather than try to impress other people. Being yourself is probably the “coolest” thing people could do if it’s wearing the trendy clothes that people are wearing on TV, or wearing exactly the opposite. The world would be a lot more interesting if everyone were to express their own individuality.

No comments:

Post a Comment